13 April, 2008

1000Y/day in Tokyo

CHAOS!

If all had gone according to plan, I would be on a plane to Taiwan right now. Unfortunately, yesterday it was revealed that my working visa is single-entry... and yes, I knew that before, but somehow I didn't really absorb the fact that that meant "no leaving the country and going back in (unless you have a re-entry permit)." Oops. Alas, immigration offices are closed on weekends, so no re-entry permit for me. I had to cancel the flight, and for now my fingers are crossed for a partial refund or a reschedule from the travel agency, who I can't contact until Monday. Really really oops.

As a result of that situation, I'm learning two new games:

1. Konbini love-love game~!

When I did currency exchange, I was planning for 2 days, not 4. So this morning I had 1000JPY ($10CAD) in my pocket. It's Sunday, so the nearby currency exchange is closed, and my Visa doesn't seem to work in ATMs it should work in. What to do about food? No problem! The kobini (that's katakana for convenience store, for those not in the know) has saved my stomach. Any 7-11 or Lawson or whatever has tons of super cheap food. This morning I ate a 150Y steamed bun, and for lunch I have 200Y seaweed salad in the hostel fridge. That leaves about 600Y for noodles or a bento for supper. Close, but possible... sure can't do THAT in Victoria.

2. Musical beds game!

I'm actually extraordinarily lucky--there are free beds in the hostel both tonight and tomorrow night. They're both different rooms though, so I'm switching dorm rooms every day! And, also lucky, the hostel takes credit cards. Whew.

It's raining today, so my planned photo expedition to Kaminarimon is still on hold. I'll probably go to a nearby (free) craft museum instead.

No comments: