07 February, 2009

Peeing Under the Stars, and Other Outback Highlights

Back to my old tricks, I packed two novels for a five-day trip, three days of which were a camping tour. Then, on the first day, pretty much as soon as I arrived in Alice Springs, I went out and bought another novel. (Home, by Larissa Behrendt, which I strongly recommend!) However, I sped through the new novel and am also almost finished one of the original two, so the third one may come in handy on the plane back to Sydney tomorrow. I guess I'm not that silly after all... and at least I didn't drag a Curious George doll all over the outback (strange things are done under the hot sun...)

Anyway, enough about books--a couple of top moments from my trip from Alice to Uluru (Ayre's Rock) and back, before I forget them! 1234978534631123 zillion photos coming up in a couple of weeks.

1. I saw a goanna, petted a dingo, and rode a camel.
2. I walked through a canyon where pythons are known to live! If that isn't conquering your fears, what is? (If I were less honest, dear reader, I wouldn't mention that I didn't know there were pythons in the canyon until after walking all the way into it.)
3. I didn't see any pythons in the canyon. YES! Actually, I didn't see any of the other many species of highly dangerous snakes I shared territory with. SUCCESS, I AM ALIVE!
4. I slept out under the stars for the first time.
5. I walked 7k in 42 degree heat yesterday, and 8k before 9:30AM this morning. I saw some really beautiful country for my trouble.
6. While dropping my trousers to pee in the bush, I saw a shooting star.

It was a good trip!

1 comment:

Estelle said...

you make me so happy.


I guess my rubber snake will no longer be so terrifying? lol

I want to ride a camel and pet a dingo. What is a goanna?