03 July, 2009

I feel a book post coming on...

The end of the sixth month of the year has passed! Time for the quarterly reckoning of reading.

Since March 31 I have read:

  1. Susan Kurosawa - Coronation Talkies
  2. Rose Tremain - Sacred Country
  3. David Mitchell - Number9Dream
  4. Nada Awar Jarrar - Dreams of Water
  5. Stephen Dando-Collins - Pasteur's Gambit (nonfiction)
  6. Audrey Niffenegger - Three Incestuous Sisters (visual novel)
  7. Audrey Niffenegger - The Adventuress (visual novel)
  8. Annie Proulx - Brokeback Mountain
  9. Mudrooroo - Wild Cat Falling (PFitG)
  10. Jenny Newman - Life Class
  11. Elizabeth Knox - The Vintner's Luck (PFitG)
  12. Louise Erdrich - The Master Butchers Singing Club
  13. Yoshimoto Banana - Kitchen (PFitG)
  14. Eric Gerome Dickey - Chasing Destiny
  15. Lev Grossman - Codex
  16. Khaled Hosseini - The Kite Runner
  17. Sandra Newman - The Only Good Thing Anyone Has Ever Done
  18. Jonathan Lethem - Motherless Brooklyn
  19. Andrew Nicoll - The Good Mayor
  20. Curtis Sittenfeld - American Wife
  21. Samrat Upadhyay - The Guru of Love
  22. Jeanette Winterson - Sexing the Cherry
  23. Martha Cooley - The Archivist
  24. Haruki Murakami - Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (PFitG)


Voila! 24 books (although two were picture books). Of these, six were written by people of colour; I am still way way short of my goal to make that half. (For the whole year, I am running at 12/37; still a massive improvement over last year's 6/60 but Not Good Enough!) Four were on my list for Project Filling in the Gaps.

As I write this I am still working on both Sexing the Cherry and Hard Boiled Wonderland. Both should be finished by the end of the week, so I am leaving them in the second-quarter list.

Some statistical analysis! This quarter I had a definite peak, reading seven novels in two weeks! But there was also a trough, when I read zero novels in two weeks! Remarkable in both cases.

My favourites were Sacred Country, Number9Dream, Motherless Brooklyn, The Good Mayor, and American Wife.

3 comments:

jennjenn said...

fuck that's awesome

I started on draculy in may and I still have not finished.

(but I read 3 other books in the meantime)

still, impressive list, any specific recommends for world lit?

j said...

I mean, draculA, but actually the typo sounds vay cuter :/

Unknown said...

I suggest you read Gail Tsukiyama's Women of the Silk and The Language of Threads (latter being the sequel). They're both beautifully written.

Ha Jin - Waiting
Pearl Buck - The Good Earth

Those are the few that comes to my mind right now. But I'd seriously read Tsukiyama's because they're wonderful.