11 June, 2008

ゆずのかわ

Photo from my flickr account

I cooked something which may resemble Japanese food last week.

On my first Saturday in Kochi, Mana took me to the local farmer's market. In one booth, I saw what I thought was a bag of yuzu (a type of citrus fruit). I approached with intention to buy it, but the farmer whose booth it was explained that it was ゆずのかわ--yuzu skin. (You can eat the skin.) He then explained that you could make something with yuzu skin, and gave me a sample of such a thing. He also, I think, explained how to make it. I only caught a few words, but I since the bag of yuzu skins was only 100 yen, I figured I would give it a shot.

The words I caught were shoyu, which is soy sauce, and katsuobushi, which is dried flaked bonito--bonito being a fish for which Kochi is famous. I also understood his explanation that you only needed to take the seeds out of the bag of yuzu skins. So, I removed the seeds, chopped the skin up, and threw it in a pot with katsuobushi and soy sauce, and this is what I ended up with. I don't think I got the proportions right, and maybe I missed something--it doesn't taste like the sample the farmer gave me. So I won't post a recipe or anything. But it was an interesting experiment, and the result is not bad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Disaster Girl,
I'm enjoying all your stuff - think of you constantly.... Keep on having a great adventure.

Aunt Merle, Victoria

Anonymous said...

Love the photo.
I also think its neat you can like... understand people and stuff.
I want to learn japanese! :D
-- joel