31 August, 2008

Nara to Kochi to Hiroshima to Kochi

I've covered a lot of ground in the last two weeks--about 40 hours in a train, in fact.

After spending two days in Kyoto (5:27-14:38), I met up with my friend Akari in Nara (12:30-13:15). We went to see Kasuga Taisha (Kasuga Shrine), which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I actually enjoyed the walk there most, 'cause it's lined in beautiful stone lanterns.

Then we went to the BIGGEST WOODEN BUILDING IN THE WORLD, Todai-ji (Todai Temple) which houses a 14.98 metre tall statue of the Buddha, which is remarkably enough NOT the biggest one in the world--or even the biggest in Japan. That was pretty cool.

Then I got to hang out with Akari, see the tea her family grows, drink homemade umeshu (plum liqueur that is one of my favourite things in the world), go out for rotating sushi, and THEN hop another train back to Kochi (15:45-23:00, because I sprung for an express).

Last Saturday I spent the day teaching, but still spent an hour on the train going to and from the class I teach for an English school in Noichi (12:19-12:48, 16:09-16:40).

Then on Sunday I headed to Hiroshima (10:45 - 19:00). I had time that evening to meet a random Italian girl at the hostel, and we went with her Japanese friend for Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki, whichi I failed to take a photo of.

I spent half of the next day at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and half trying to go to art museums that turned out to be closed because it was a Monday, finding time also to eat another Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki without taking a picture of it either.

On Tuesday I left Hiroshima and headed to Takamatsu (9:25-13:30) on the way to Kochi. In Takamatsu, I spent a few rainy hours exploring Ritsurin Park, which is really beautiful. I didn't eat Takamatsu's famous Sanuki udon (it has since been suggested to me that I go back and do so). Then I headed home to Kochi (16:48-22:04), in time to prepare for a meeting the next day in Noichi (13:45-14:19).

And I still have ONE DAY of unlimited train travel left on my ticket. I can go anywhere in Japan, but since I must use local trains only and am limited to one day, I am planning to stay on Shikoku. Where should I go?

No comments: