19 August, 2008

Oooooops, I did it again....

So this morning I literally fell onto the train at exactly 5:27 AM, having run from a taxi just in time to catch it as the bell rang announcing its departure... I travelled on slow local trains for a long long time, eating only plain riceballs that I had forgotten in my rush to add salt to, and wearing only one sock... (no, seriously!)

and then about 9 hours later, I arrived in Kyoto only to find that the place I was supposed to stay, in a Buddhist temple, was in fact housing someone else. I wasn't that surprised--last night I realized that I had failed to SEND the email confirming my stay. But I had a hard time finding out. I sent an email when I realized--no reply. I showed up to check-in time and rang the bell--no reply. Finally I phoned. I heard the phone ring, and someone picked up. They really must have heard me ring. I guess not answering the bell means "no vacancy"? In any case, oops. I brought one backup hostel phone number and a sketched map.

And now here I am, having found the BEST HOSTEL I HAVE EVER BEEN IN, probably much better off. (Hence the unexpected intarweb access.) I did get lost on the way and end up in another taxi, but even counting the travel it's still cheaper here, and they also cook breakfast AND I have a four-person dorm to myself AND the girl at the check-in desk has a cute smile! (This is the first time for me to use my Hostelling International membership [thanks Aunt!] and I must say, I don't know if all HI hostels are like this, but I will certainly endeavor to use it more in future, and if you are ever in Kyoto, Utano Youth Hostel is rad.)

Today I dropped by the Emperor's palace for a quick visit, wandered around in downtown Kyoto for a while trying to find Gion (I think I got almost there, but I was hungry and it was getting late so I turned around and gave up), and had an interesting conversation with a sushi chef. Now that I'm not in Tosa-ben land, suddenly mylanguage skills have skyrocketed!

Certainly this is my favourite disaster so far, considering that I have actually saved money because of it!

2 comments:

Lauren Hunter said...

Ohhh, you should totally go back to Gion at night and take pictures of maiko! I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

You have the most amazing resilience and recovery skills. Well done!/Mom