21 November, 2008

What's your philosophy of travel?

I've been in Australia for nearly two months, now. I've spent a lot (a lot a lot) of time looking for work, a lot of time just having a break (including a week paralyzed by mysteriously sprained bits that doesn't really count, because I WANTED to get out of bed, really!), and some more time tooling around Sydney in a fairly random manner. I've seen lots of stuff, but I haven't made an effort to go for the tourist sites. Heck, I still haven't seen any living kangaroos. And, since I've been here for a while now, people are starting to ask me what my travel plans are. Which other parts of Australia am I going to see?

The truth is, I've barely thought about it yet. For one thing, I don't have the funding at the moment to just go wherever I want. But for another, I'm really enjoying just living in Sydney. I know, it would be a shame to come to Australia and just hang out in one state (I've also been to Canberra--and I'll go to Melbourne, which is the next state over) and not to see rural areas. But I also don't have any huge motivation to go to any particular place. (Well, it would be nice to see Uluru [Ayre's Rock]. But let's face it--not a great solo backpack trip destination for a non-driver.)

Someone I was talking to yesterday asked me about this, and on hearing that I didn't have plans, said something like "Anyway, it's the experience of living in a different place that's important." I think that might be my philosophy of travel.

So what's your philosophy of travel? When you visit a country, do you want to see all of the famous sights? Travel EVERYWHERE? Or just get a taste of life as it is for the locals?

...and while we're at it, any suggested short trip destinations in Australia?

7 comments:

Lauren Hunter said...

I haven't traveled enough to have a philosophy. On my excursions to BC, I would say I get a sense of what life is like for the locals. XD

When I told my mom you were in Australia, she went, "OMG, she should go stay with Lisa! [my aunt]" So, there you go. You can visit my aunt.

Anonymous said...

My travel philosophy varies. Sometimes I just want to see everything within walking distance. Other times I am there for the big tourist spots or the world heritage sites in the vicinity. Often I hope to visit churches as I think they show you a lot about the society. and always I am hoping for the serendipity of local music. People are much the same everywhere I think. They try to make a living, eat well, sleep soundly, and have fun!

Alyssa said...

Where is your aunt again, Lina? Melbourne?

Estelle said...

I definitely prefer living in a place rather than traveling. But you do have to go see bush babies!!!

Alyssa said...

If you mean these bushbabies, E.H.... they live in Africa. :P

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I think I recall a similar conversation! One qualification to the rule is that you have to live at least a little differently to benefit. For example, if the difference is just using that Foxtel IQ box to record the shows you'd normally download, it doesn't count. ;-) Ah well - at least you'll pronounce "mocha" correctly now. t.

Alyssa said...

t: Yeah, a conversation with you was one of the ones that lead up to this post! I think it's impossible to not live "differently enough" becaues there are always a million cool cultural things. Of course, between Canada and Australia, they're pretty small, but still very interesting.

The other thing I realized I like about the long-and-slow travel approach is that because I'm here for a while, I can go and do those tourist things when I feel like it, but don't have to push myself into it when I don't. And don't worry, I'm not going to pass a whole six months in Sydney without being seriously in the travel mood!