19 April, 2009

Sydney Library Redemption

Sydney City Library has redeemed itself in my eyes, even if I did have to pay a membership fee. They have copies of Audrey Niffenegger's visual novels, Three Incestuous Sisters and The Adventuress. Today I came upon them and immediately read both of them twice.

"Clothilde knows that the cause of headaches is birds using pieces of her hair to build their nests. Therefore, she saves all her hair in jars hidden in her closet. Despite this, she continues to suffer." - Audrey Niffenegger, Three Incestuous Sisters

They are whimsical picture books for adults. The art is brilliantly quirky, the text is so sparse there are lots of gaps for the images/imaginations to fill in. I can't wait for her second novel! (Her first, The Time Traveller's Wife, is one of my all-time favourites.)

There was live jazz floating down from the swanky cafe on the top floor of the library, so I hung out in the lobby to also read Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx, just out of curiosity really--it's only about 50 pages long. But I loved it. The characters' voices are just right there. I should see the movie.

I had gone to the library looking for books on my Project Filling in the Gaps list; I came away with one from the list and seven others.

2 comments:

Estelle said...

My local library charges for movie rentals. This is highly disappointing.

Alyssa said...

That is very silly indeed!