28 September, 2008

My Last Week in Japan

Sunday, September 21

Farewell party, Kochi style--that means old men I've only met once or twice getting drunk and trying to speak in English. It also means really heartfelt and charming goodbyes from my English students and friends. It was really too short!


Monday, September 22


Lunch with a new acquaintance I wish I'd had more time to get to know, and her daughter (my age) who again, I wish I knew better! Plus awesome karaoke with my favourite band, The Nudy's--the three of them are my closest friends from this summer. Then LIGHTNINGFAST cleaning of my room (passes the landlady's inspection with no room to spare) and off to Ino with Ayumi's mom, my patron saint of moving.

Tuesday, September 23

I caught an early bus from Kochi to Osaka, and from there a train to Kyoto, where I arrived around 4:00. Around then, I realized I'd left a bag of souvenirs and my favourite shawl on the bus. I called the bus company and arranged to pick it up the next morning in Osaka. Then I washed my clothes, took a stroll around Gion and fell asleep in my treacherously man-filled hostel room (see previous entries).

Wednesday, September 24

I went early, around 8, to Kiyomizu Temple (I beat the school tour rush, so it was perfect timing) and then headed to Osaka for my lost Sakamoto Ryoma socks. Unfortunately, when I got there I found the bag had gone to Okayama instead. Oops. I got it sent to Kyoto for the next morning... now almost as well travelled as I am! Then, back in Kyoto, I went to Tofuku Temple (no relation to tofu) and then Fushumi Inari Shrine, where I had an interesting long chat with a Japanese photographer. (I'll get to the pictures soon.)

Thursday, September 25

I met up with Sachiko, the aforementioned daughter of an acquaintance, who is going to art school in Kyoto, learning to make rad traditional sculptures. We visited the flea market at Kitano Tenmangu shrine, Nijo Castle, Sanjusangendo, and the Kyoto Tower. Phew. We also went shopping in Shijo Kawaramachi (book! English book!) and ate parfaits with dubiously flavoured ice cream (did they forget the sugar in this?! we are the entire scoop trying to figure out why it was so wrong) in the mall above Kyoto Station.

Friday, September 26

I got soaked trying to go to a shrine in a FOREST in a RAINSTORM. Without an umbrella. I'll have to go there next time, because I gave up after walking only a few metres. Then I dried off over coffee in Gion, where I saw but didn't photograph two maiko. I checked out of the man hostel, and went to see Ryoanji again (I saw it on my last trip to Kyoto and was really inspired). I saw a maiko entering the temple as I left, and was almosssst tempted to follow with flashing camera, but decided not to be rude. Then I picked up my bags from the hostel and hopped on a luxuriously fast shinkansen to Tokyo.... where I promptly got lost in Shinjuku station and only barely stumbled into my appointed hostel.

Saturday, September 27

In the morning, I went to try to buy Takarazuka tickets, but no such luck. So I went back to the hostel and scouted some interesting museums. I went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography, which took longer than I expected. Then I went to Harajuku, where I saw Meiji Shrine (and a Japanese wedding procession--lucky!) and then wandered around in teen-y Harajuku eating crepe and buying cute socks. In the evening I tried to go to a bar I'd heard was good, but got lost and went to the wrong place, and then when I finally found the right one, it was too packed and I was too tired to wait to get in--so much for being able to stay out late in Shinjuku!


Sunday, September 28


In the morning, I went to try to buy Takarazuka tickets, but no such luck. (Sound familiar? I'm going to try once more tomorrow!) Then I went to Tsukiji, where the fish market was closed on account of it being Sunday, but where I ate tasty salmon roe. Then I met a friend, and we had coffee and checked out the swords in the Tokyo National Museum.

Which brings me back here, staying boringly in the hostel because my FEET ARE KILLING ME. One more day in Tokyo--hopefully including a Takarazuka show--and then I'll head to a hostel in Narita town tomorrow so I don't have to get up TOO early to catch the flight on Tuesday.

Pictures soon, but oh my god there are sooooooo many.

No comments: