14 March, 2009

Alas, alack!

I have lived in four cities: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada; Victoria, British Columbia, Canada; Kochi, Kochi Prefecture, Japan; Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. All of them are provincial/prefectural/state capitals. About 300,000 people live in each of the first three, and many million in the last. I like them all, but there is one thing about Regina that I have missed ever since I left in 2004, and will miss as long as I live. Yes, I know my true love.

It's the Regina Public Library (oh-so-fondly let us call it the RPL). I miss it with a passion. I miss the woman in the Bothwell branch who asks me every time I go there whether my father has bought me a car yet (she remembers me from the ten-book stacks I borrowed as a child), I miss the weird things that appear in the Dunlop Art Gallery in the Central branch. I miss the garbled digitized voice on my parents' answering machine, informing the household that the book on hold for "Arlyza" has arrived. (If they didn't already know my schedule, my parents could probably plan for my arrival on visits home by waiting to hear that message.) I miss it because it's the best library I have ever encountered. I miss the reference section. I miss the massive collection of unabridged audio books, on CD and cassette tape. I miss the multiple copies, spread out nicely one at each branch, of popular books. I miss the graphic novel collection, from which I have borrowed every volume of Sandman. I miss the classics, especially all of the Ibsen and the multiple translations of Goethe's Faust. I miss the thoughtful thematic displays, changed monthly, from which I have selected many an excellent novel. I miss being able to say "I think I feel like re-reading a Madeline L'Engle series today" and finding that the RPL, bless its little heart, has the whole series at the same branch.

Yes, most of all I miss always being able to find the book I want to read. I'm not saying they have everything--that's impossible, and indeed there are a couple of specific novels I recall not finding there. But they're very few. It was never a question of "I wonder if the library has that" but rather "I wonder if that's at my branch right now, and if not how long will it take it to get there?" The Victoria library doesn't sort its paperbacks, and its collection of books is probably less than half the size of the RPL's. The Kochi library, being in Japan and therefore containing mostly books in Japanese, I really can't comment properly on. Sydney is worst. The library I am entitled to use here is a puny little three-branch suburb affair, which instead of having all of the books I want to read has none of them. The state library is reference-only, and to borrow from a bigger library elsewhere in the city I must pay fees.

I'm homesick for my library. I pine for it. My heart will not mend until I can once again breeze through its automatic doors, open generous hours including evenings and weekends. Can anyone loan me some L'Engle?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will take the Bothwell Branch a copy of your comments. They will be happy to know you are enjoying life but missing them. Several staff still ask about you whenever I go in. /Mom

Anonymous said...

I actually feel the same!
I really don't like the libraries in toronto at all, i haven't been able to find "the good one" or "the one with all of the decent stuff in it" yet.

The RPL -- especially teh central -- is probably my favourite.

The little "new books" display always had really thoughtful things to read and i still have a list on my iPod of all the ones i want to read but couldn't quite get to... and its section of classics was impressive (although they never did track down a copy of Erasmus for me).

I remember hearing somewhere once that the RPL central was one of the biggest public libraries (or best kept) in Canada once?

I always found something to read there, just by wandering through, and I am glad I am not the only one... :)

Anonymous said...

(odd too since i was thinking the same thing a few days ago)

Alyssa said...

I think you're right, Joel, I've also heard that the RPL is one of the best in Canada. I bet it's the whole system, rather than just Central--I totally agree with the love for Central, but I'm also a fan of how all of the branches are actually good by themselves as well. It seems to be rare.

I wonder if there's a fan club, haha.

Anonymous said...

i bet there's a facebook group!

But yes, all of the other libraries are pretty good too.

Equally balanced, actually.

I remember going to one in Halifax near my place and it was all kind of "local neighbourhood issues" so not a lot of big, general literature but a lot of stuff that appealed to the type and class of people living there.

The one near my place in Toronto is similar.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you will find facebook pages for RPl, Central and the branches

Alyssa said...

Thanks, Anon! I've found them and become a fan!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post, Alyssa! I live close to the Central RPL library, and it's great! I have worked in university libraries, but I have family who work with the RPL who sent me this link. Your post is really getting around.

There have been so many times where I've gone to the library in a foul mood, and found a book (or more aptly many books) that instantly put me in a great mood. The staff is so friendly too! I've had people recognize me from description alone.

I hope you get to come back and use the RPL again soon!

Alyssa said...

Wow, how lucky to live near the Central! I'm very much looking forward to going there in a few months!