20 March, 2009

The Great JP Hunt of 2009: Episode 1

Today I went JP hunting.

My passport has to be renewed, and of course I haven't known any lawyers/doctors/dentists/judges/etc in Australia for more than two years, so instead of a guarantor I need a Justice of the Peace to sign a declaration that I am in fact me.

Apparently JPs can be found in libraries, post offices, pharmacies, banks, police stations, and local council offices. So off I went, thinking I would find one with no problem... but not so! It was a wild goose chase reminiscent of a difficult quest in a video game.

I went to the post office. They said the library had a JP. I went to the library; they didn't, but they suggested I try the Maroubra branch, or the local police station. On the way to the police station I forgot the directions, so I stopped to ask in a bank. No JP there. I found the police station, but they didn't have one either (in fact there was a sign taped to the counter saying no, they didn't have a JP...) but the police officer on duty suggested I ask a chemist, or go to the Maroubra police station. I tried a chemist, and there they told me to try the council chambers... but it was almost five, so off I went to Maroubra. The library told me no, nobody was there today, and that I would have to call ahead. I got directions to the police station. But the police said they do certify documents, but couldn't sign for my identity... I should walk down the road to the Pagewood Hotel, and then go across the street to... a FUNERAL HOME?! Off I went. I arrived at 5:06, 6 minutes after the funeral home closed.

I gave up for the day. Apparently I'm about as good at JP hunting as I am at video games.

No comments: