09 March, 2009

Many Worlds Theory

In an alternate universe, I left Australia this morning. I flew to Singapore, and this evening I'm staying there in the Alston hotel. But in this universe, I'm hanging out at 11 Houston Road just as I was last night...

Yes, that's right--I've extended my travels again. My boss at the clinic offered to buy me an airplane ticket back to Canada if I would stay for a few extra months, and after massive hesitations, I decided to go for it. My original flight, today, has been abandoned (it could have been rescheduled only to April 10, not long enough to bother, because it expired after a year). It was so cheap that even though I've only used two thirds of it, Vancouver-Tokyo-Sydney, I still think that it was a pretty good deal! Unfortunately, it does mean I'm missing out on the three-day stopover I'd planned in Singapore. But I'll have three more months to explore Sydney and Australia, so I think it's a fair trade-off. Singapore will wait for another time. I'll be back in Canada on June 14, and I swear I'm for serious this time.

This is the third plane ticket I've abandoned on this trip, in fact. I had to cancel a flight to Taiwan because I didn't have a re-entry permit on my Japanese work visa, way back in April (hard to believe it was almost a year ago!), and then in May I foolishly got the date wrong and missed a flight to Korea. This time I have a replacement ticket at no cost (to me), so it feels a whole lot better. But next time I plan my travel, I'll be more careful with visas, more cautious with dates, and plan for much more flexibility!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing lessons learned! /Mom