08 March, 2009

Mardi Gras

Fat Tuesday is a little bit differen in Sydney. In fact, that's "Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras" to you! But whatever you're going to call it, I participated yesterday and had a really great time. I had so much fun, I'm STILL leaving a trail of cheerful golden sparkles.



Along with two friends who are visiting Australia from Japan, I joined the Amnesty International LGBT Human Rights float. Our sobering t-shirts reminded us that homosexuality is persecuted around the world (queer people are imprisoned in 77 countries and face the death penalty in 7!) and in gratitude for the freedom we are lucky enough to have in countries like Australia and Canada, we celebrated enthusiastically all the way from Hyde Park to Moore Park. (Google Maps says that's 2.7 kilometres, and we danced all the way, baby.) The flag you see in the photo above says LOVE FREEDOM. Sorry about the blur--I was moving AND it was moving!

A great time was had by all. After the parade, we shared excellent Thai food, and then I wandered off into the night to party until the morning bus service got started!

No comments: